We follow up with this story after several reports from States across the nation. State officials have said that rattlesnake bites are on the rise due to massive flooding.
The family of Priscilla Meredith, confirmed the 62 year old Brunswick, Georgia resident has died. Meredith and her sister were visiting the home of a friend in May, when the incident occurred. Family members said Meredith, an avid gardener was helping her friend with her garden when the rattlesnake,appeared out of nowhere’ and bit Meredith.
The initial incident happened on May 17th in front of Meredith’s sister. The life-long Georgia resident was transported to Southeast Georgia Health System in Brunswick. A nurse at the hospital determined that Meredith was suffering an allergic reaction to the venom. . Family members say they didn’t know Meredith was allergic, and are doubtful that Meredith knew she was allergic.
Her Family rushes to hospital after the Rattlesnake Bite
Family members gathered at the hospital to find that while Meredith was still in emergency she suffered a heart attack and her kidneys were starting to fail. Furthermore, the grandmother of 5 was in relatively good health prior to the rattlesnake bite. She was placed in a medically induced coma, as staff scrambled to treat various issues as a result of the allergic reaction. The woman never recovered, say family and she died this week. Her family members are now voicing concerns about the care Meredith received while at the hospital for over three weeks. A relative of Meredith who wished to remain anonymous said that Meredith ‘was never administered anti-venom while at the hospital.’ The family feels that since she was diagnosed with an allergy to venom upon admittance, the life saving medicine should have been given to her.
The director of the hospital’s emergency department, Dr. Mohsen Aklaghi said that his staff ‘followed the protocol dealing with patients who have been poisoned. Th staff follows recommendations of the ‘Georgia Poison Control. Aklaghi said, “after careful review of the patient’s file, the staff acted appropriately for the given set of circumstances.” Dr. Gaylord Lopez talked to WJAX-TV, Loepz is Managing Director of the ‘Georgia Poison Control’. Lopez said ‘patients can be given the anti-venom after they have been bit by rattlesnakes.’ He wouldn’t comment on Meredith’s particular case, but said it all comes down to a person’s medical history,’ He went on to say ‘not every patient is a good candidate for the anti-venom.’
Experts in the field of rattlesnake bites are reporting that dry conditions in certain parts of the country, are making rattlesnake bites a very strong possibility this summer. Dr. Mark E. Sutter of The University of California at Davis, is a toxicologist and an expert on allergic reactions to rattlesnake bites. Sutter offered some advice on prevention. Dr. Sutter said over 300 rattlesnake bites have been reported in California alone this year. Sutter advised“knowing your surroundings before engaging in any physical activity.” He continued, most rattlesnake bites occur between April and October. Furthermore, contrary to what a lot of people think, rattlesnakes do not make a sound that would alert someone to their pretense. In conclusion, know your surroundings Sutter advised.