(Naegleria Fowleri)Brain Eating Parasite Found in This State

Naegleria Fowleri

Man Dies After Contracting Naegleria Fowleri After Swimming In Fresh Water

Friends and family of Eddie Gray,59, are mourning his loss in North Carolina. Gray went swimming at Fantasy Lake Water Park in Cumberland County, North Carolina. The incident happened on July 12th, Gray’s autopsy was released late Friday. Gray reported to the group he was with that he was feeling ill shortly after leaving the park.

The lake Gray went swimming in as a man-made lake at the water park. He died due to being infected with, ‘Naegleria fowleri’, a single cell organism also called, ‘a brain eating amoeba’. This type of amoeba is found primarily in fresh water, and has been found in Texas and Florida. This is a very rare disease, but when a person contracts it, it’s often times fatal.

Naegleria Fowleri Diease Is Extremely Rare But Often Fatal

There have been 141 fatalities from the NNaegleria Fowleri disease in U.S. From 1962 to 2018. There have been another four documented cases of Naegleria Fowleri, where the four people survived. The family of Eddie Gray hired an attorney to handle his estate and possibly suing Fantasy Lake Park.

The attorney Justin Plummer, said, “Mr. Gray’s death was tragic and untimely. The family is currently asking for privacy and respect during this difficult time.”According to public information, Gray was an active member of Sedge Garden United Methodist Church. He also enjoyed camping and fishing and was a huge NASCAR fan. Zack Moore an epidemiologist in North Carolina offered his condolences to the Gray family. He also issued a warning, “ People should be aware this organism is present in warm fresh water. It’s also active in lakes,and hot springs across North Carolina, be mindful as you swim and enjoy the water.”

Center For Disease Control Issues Warning About Ways Amoeba Can Be Contracted

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta offered some information about this rare but fatal disease. The CDC advised that Naegleria Fowleri isn’t necessarily fatal if it’s swallowed while in water. However if it gets into the nasal passage, that is when it can and often becomes fatal.

The CDC also asserts that the disease can be contracted during diving into fresh warm water, or engaging in water skiing or water activities. In prior cases most of the affected individuals turned up in young children and adolescents.

The CDC reports that at of all the documented cases of Naegleria Fowleri 75% were males. A few other cases have been directly linked to little instruments which are used to clean the nasal passage called ‘neti pots.’ There are some tell tale signs to be aware of, like nausea, headache, and vomiting.

These symptoms worsen quickly, with most people dying within one to two weeks after being infected. Once the Naegleria Fowleri enters the body through the nasal passage it can travel to the brain very quickly. Once there it starts to eat away the brain tissues which is fatal.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here